Friday, June 1, 2012

Winning Balance by Shawn Johnson




Shawn Johnson, age 20, was a 2008 Olympian, winning 1 gold medal and 3 silver medals in the Beijing Olympics. She is a national and a world champion in gymnastics and then she caught the spotlight again when starring on Dancing With The Stars in 2009. Then she suffered a potentially career ending injury when skiing.
Johnson's book Winning Balance isn't an autobiography per say, though it is written chronological order. Instead, it is stories from Johnson's life, with some of the life lessons that she has learned. This book is an open and honest look at Johnson's life. Her parents instilled a sense of balance in her life, making sure gymnastics never completely took over. She went to public school, up until the Olympics, doing normal, every day things like going to football games, prom, around school, gymnastics and homework. While many gymnasts train 40 hours a week, Johnson was only training around 25-30 hours a week.

I loved reading this book! As a kid, I dreamed of figure skating and gymnastics and loved to watch them on tv whenever I could. Both sports were just like magic to me, watching what these people could do in their sport. Now that I'm older, the magic is still there. Johnson's book was pure magic and pure joy for me.
I give this book 5 stars.
I received this book from Tyndale for the purpose of this review

No comments: