Saturday, June 30, 2012

Lucy Come Home by Dave and Neta Jackson




Lucy Tucker has lived an interesting and quite varied life. Growing up during the dust bowl, and living as a migrant worker with her family when she was a teenager, serves as a unique background to marrying a carny and living traveling from amusement park to amusement part with her husband for several years. But much of Lucy's adult life has been spent on the streets. The book jumps between Lucy's present life, in which is she living on the streets or in the Manna House shelter, and her younger years, starting in the 1940s with her family, until the two story lines meet.
I found myself wanting the earlier story line to progress faster so I could understand more of where Lucy had come from and why she was the way she was when you see her on the streets or in the shelter, while the present day story line made me think about the life and hardships of those who live on the streets. This book has some connections to some of the Jackson's other books, being set in the same area of Chicago for part of it. I have enjoyed reading other books by Dave and Neta Jackson, but this book was not a favorite for me. I give this book 3.5 stars. I received this book from Litfuse for the purpose of my review.

No comments: