Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Anniversary Waltz by Darrell Nelson




Set in 1946 and briefly in 2006, The Anniversary Waltz tells the story of Adam Carlson and his wife Elizabeth. The book opens at the Carlson's 60th anniversary party, and Adam is asking his wife to waltz with him, like they have for every anniversary prior. Then they sit down and share the story of how they met, dated, and married. Theirs is a story of true love, courage, and overcoming adversity in many areas. In 1946, Adam has just come home from the war and has returned to his family's farm in Montana. A few days after returning home a town festival, Adam meets a young woman, Elizabeth, who is going steady with Nathan Roberts, Adam's high school rival and now an influential banker.  After Adam and Elizabeth share a waltz together, it seems their future is sealed. It was love at first dance, but things are never that easy.

This story made me laugh and cry with the characters. While I knew Adam and Elizabeth had to have gotten married, their journey was filled with obstacles they had to overcome. I wondered how they would be able to do it, when all seemed to be lost. Some parts of the book were predictable, but other parts took me by surprise and kept me turning the pages. In fact, about halfway through the book, I figured I would stop and go to bed and then finish the book in the morning, but I couldn't stop reading, I had to finish the book that night, and about three hours after starting it, I finished reading it.
I give this book 5 stars. It was a great read, and I loved it!
I received this book from Glass Road Media for the purpose of this review.

1 comment:

Darrel Nelson said...

Charity:
Thanks so much for taking the time to read and review my novel, The Anniversary Waltz. I hope you weren't too tired the next morning after staying up so late to finish it. (But if it's any consolation, I stayed up late a lot of nights writing it.) I really appreciate the kind words in your blog.