Thursday, June 7, 2012

5 Miles South of Peculiar by Angela Hunt




On July 3, 1968, Charles Caldwell died, leaving his estate to his family for 50 years before it is tuned over to the city. 44 years later, Caldwell's granddaughters live in the house. Darlene has married and raised her family there, Carlene grew up there before moving to NYC, but returns for her 50th birthday. Magnolia, or Nolie as she is known, is ten years younger than her twin sisters, and when Carlene was getting all the attention for her voice before moving to NYC to study at Julliard and work on Broadway, and Darlene got married and became a mother, Nolie almost seems like she was forgotten about. Now she is trying to make her own way and prove herself.
Each girl has their own secrets and stubbling blocks that make them put up walls with each other. Will they be able to get past those and find their place together again?

I've read several others of Angela Hunt's books and thought this book would be really good. But sadly I was disappointed. I had a hard time getting into it, and it was a book I could easily put down. While I still wanted to know what happened, it just didn't capture my attention like I hoped it would. While I liked it better in the end than I thought I would after I got into it, it still wasn't a favorite book. I give this book 3.5 stars.
I received this book from Howard Books for the purpose of this review.

No comments: