Monday, August 15, 2011

Surprised by Oxford by Carolyn Weber


Surprised by Oxford is a great book about one young woman’s unexpected search for God during her first year as a graduate student at Oxford. Having grown up in London, Ontario, Canada, Carolyn receives a scholarship after graduating from college to continue her education in Oxford. The book starts with her traveling to Oxford and ends with her finishing her first year. During this year, she meets an interesting group of people who are integral in her search and understanding of God.
I originally chose this book because I have a love affair with England and with Oxford. I knew I was going to like the book simply because it takes place in a place I have only dreamed about. But as I got into the book, it surprised me how much I got caught up into Carolyn’s life and her search. Because it is such a long book (440 pages), I figured it would take me 4-5 days, but I easily finished it in 2 1/2 days. Carolyn’s questions were honest and very real. But she had something very unique. She had people who were willing to get her to think about things, but also answer her questions in a very real, honest way. Not that every question can be answered easily, but those around her didn’t shy away from her questions. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is thinking about God and Christianity and asking questions.
I received a copy of this book from BookSneeze and Thomas Nelson publishers for the purpose of this review.

No comments: