Monday, May 14, 2012

Forever Hilltop by Judy Baer




Forever Hilltop is a two-in-one book containing An Unlikely Bless and Surprising Grace. In An Unlikely Blessing, Alex Armstrong has just moved from Chicago to take two small churches in the the Hilltop Township in the wilds of North Dakota. Armstrong is taking the pastorate of Hilltop Community Church and All Saints Church, neither of which can hire a pastor on their own, so they have to share a pastor, but that is the only thing they share, until Armstrong comes. Hilltop is a unique area in that all the families that originally settled in the area back in the 1800's still have descendants living on the original property. The community was originally settled by Swedish and Norwegian immigrants and the area still reflects their heritage with the ladies making rommegrot, lutefisk, and egg coffee. Each of the characters in the book has their own unique story and background. Armstrong finds himself with much to learn both about the community in general as well as each individual person.

I found this book very slow paced. I honestly think the two books could have been condensed into one book. I enjoyed the variety of the characters from children to elderly adults and all their various stories. The variety of characters reminded me of the town of Stars Hollow on the show Gilmore Girls, but at the same time the characters of Gilmore Girls were more entertaining.
I chose this book because I had read other books by Judy Baer when I was a teenager and wanted the life one of the characters had, but this book was a bit more disappointing.
I give this book 3.5 stars.
I received this book from Litfuse for the purpose of this review.

No comments: