Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Food Family Style by Leigh Oliver Vickery




This cookbook, by "Queso Queen" Leigh Oliver Vickery, is filled with family friendly recipes. There are designations for recipes that are easy for kids to help with, double easily, freeze well, are gluten-free or vegetarian, made in a slow cooker and more. Vickery's books also includes tips on involving kids in the meal preparation, and even conversations starters.
I was excited by this cookbook when i saw it. I thought there would be a lot of recipes I wanted to try. But when we picked out a couple recipes to try, they didn't come out as good as I was hoping they would. The three recipes we tried were the Lemon Punch Cake (page 241), Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash (page 72), and Tater Tot Casserole (page 30).
The Lemon cake didn't have the flavor that we hoped it would, and the glaze didn't penetrate the cake. The Tater tot casserole had too much milk in it, for it to set in the given time. The Sweet Potato Hash was probably the best of the meals. 
As much as we had some issues with the recipes, I want to keep trying more recipes. It was a cookbook that I wanted to try every recipe in it. While I may not do that, I will try more in the future. I give this cookbook 4 stars.

No comments: